Yet again I have saved way too many articles on this subject to be able to weave them into a sensible summary. Why this topic? Well it remains a key area of contention within churches and it remains a key area of contention between the church and liberal western societies. So while we may be tired of it – it’s not a subject that will go away. I’ve tried to group them into helpful categories (Note: I’m not endorsing every article I’ve linked to – some I’ve read to find out what Christians are saying and thinking and others to find out what the other side are saying and thinking.)
On living as a gay Christian
- You are not your temptations
- Coming Out – Some Advice for Christians
- Sex, Temptation, and the Gay Christian: What Chastity Demands (note this is a long piece)
- Loneliness and the Celibate Gay Christian
- Rosaria Butterfield, Sam Allberry, and Christopher Yuan on Temptation and Sin
On the Bible & Christian sexual ethics
- Searching for the Pathway Back to a Christian Sexual Ethic
- Neither A Redemptive Trajectory Nor Parallels With Slavery Can Justify Affirming Same- Sex Relationships
- Who actually cares whether Jesus said anything about gay relationships?
- The Greatest Commandment
On Christians & homosexuality in the modern world
- White Magazine Goes Into the Red (Expect to hear more of stories like this one from Australia).
- Having your cake and eating it
- The Openly Gay Christians Swearing Off Sex for Jesus
- Conservatives speak louder in secular France than in pious Germany (this one is over a year old but still noteworthy)
- The limits of tolerance – this will help you see the underpinning thought of people seeking to set limits on religious freedoms.
- What Does Science Actually Say About Whether There’s a Gay Gene? (Science here is of course seen as the highest authority).
On faith & homosexuality in the ancient world
- Were loving, faithful same-sex relations known in antiquity?
- A Modern Controversy Over Ancient Homosexuality
- The myth of the ancient Greek ‘gay utopia’
- The Secret History of Leviticus
- And if you read the last article mentioned you must read this response by Al Mohler: Leviticus in The New York Times: What’s the Real Story Here?
On the Nashville Statement
Remember that? Well it was an attempt to clarify how evangelicals should think on this and went down as well as you might have guessed. Here are some articles to review.
- Complementarians Issue New Manifesto on Gender Identity
- Evangelical responses to the ‘Nashville Statement’
- Matthew Lee Anderson on the Nashville Statement
On reviews of books from gay Christians
- Gay Girl, Good God (review by Tim Challies)
- A War of Loves (review by Andrew Bunt at Think Theology)
- When a Gay Activist Comes to Jesus ( a review of the same book at TGC by Andrew Walker)
- Why we should listen to Vicky Beeching
On Gay conversion therapy
- The cruel, dangerous reality of gay conversion therapy (WIRED)
- Why the Government’s knee-jerk ban on gay conversion therapy fails to understand the real issues (A response from Peter Ould on the issue)
- ‘Boy Erased’ Suggests Sexual Desire Can’t Change, So Religion Must – Christians can release excellent books but the world has Hollywood. We’re bringing knives to a cultural gunfight. But this is an excellent review by Brett McCracken of a Hollywood film about gay conversion therapy.