My friend Brad Watson has recently written a series of helpful articles on the craft of multiplication. It is a craft, it takes effort and work and is not an automatic or automated process.
He begins with 5 ways to create a multiplying culture
- Start with thriving communities that make disciples
- Expect to participate & send globally
- Praying, worshipping & fasting is the fuel for sending
- Prepare & plan to send your best
- The community gives itself. It is never the same.
Then he takes a look at the arithmetic of multiplication with a few helpful equations
- Equipped leaders + committed community + common mission = new communities
- Community + mission – new leaders = crowd management
- New leaders + mission – community = lone ranger
- New leaders + community – mission = pyramid scheme
Then finally he takes a look at the how of multiplication
- Share the burden & joy of sending
- Pray: depend on the Spirit to send
- Process: celebrate & grieve the Gospel movement together
- Participate: have a sending event
- Make a plan
- Engage in mutual support
Brad Watson is the author of Sent Together and has an upcoming booklet called Multiply Together.