I’ve collected a huge number of articles and posts on a variety of topics that have caught my eye over the past year. I had at one point intended to write some thoughtful essay or comment on each one but as time passed and the number of links grew that became unrealistic. Yet I’m loathe just to delete them all so for my benefit and possibly yours I’m storing them here on my blog for future reference. Today’s collection is all about secularism – the idea that that societies are no longer wedded to one particular faith and in some cases the removal of religion from public life. This is a particular feature of ‘western countries and culture’ but is also seen elsewhere.
I’ve included articles about nominal Christianity as they a part of the process of a culture moving towards a secular vision.
*Disclaimer: I’m not endorsing the links just sharing them
- Are we ready for an irreligious future?
- Future of Religion and Secular Transitions
- ‘We’re living on the corpse of our ancestors’
- Cognitive Style, Religious Beliefs, and Individualism
- How the West became a self-obsessed culture
Secularism in Europe
- In lands where “Christian civilisation” emerged, faith still shapes identity
- Western Europe’s Christians Are As Religious As America’s ‘Nones’
- Being Christian in Western Europe
- How do European countries differ in religious commitment? (interactive map)
- Brits’ Top Response to Theology Questions? ‘Don’t Know’
- Nominal Christianity in Contemporary Europe + full Vista briefing paper
- Nominal Christians (a more in-depth paper sharing research)
Secularism in America
- The Return of Paganism by Ross Douthat
- When Americans Say They Believe in God, What Do They Mean?
- The Last Temptation
- Why the Decline of Protestantism May Be Good News for Christians
- America’s Epidemic of Empty Churches
Secularism & the church
- Lausanne Global Secularization Initiative (this is a call for Chrisitians to engage)
- A Global Call to Engage Nominal Christians
- How the Church Can Thrive in a Non-Christian World
- Ten Years from Now, How Secularism and Church Diversity Intersect
- Miracles In An Age Of Secularity
- Sam Allberry on Teaching Scripture in a Secular Context
- Helpful Resources That Make The Case That Christianity Is Good For Society