For almost the entire history of humanity people have been believers but today more than ever there are millions of people who don’t believe in any God of any kind. Here are some articles that I’ve bookmarked as I read and try to understand the one who don’t believe.
On where atheists live
- In Europe
- China and Europe stand out on world map of atheism
- How the USSR Turned Houses of Worship Into Museums of Atheism
On famous atheists
- Borges on God’s Nonexistence and the Meaning of Life
- “There Is No God.” (Stephen Hawking)
- The meaning of life: Albert Camus on faith, suicide, and absurdity
- 5 reasons Bertrand Russell could not believe in God
- Losing their religion: the priests who turned from God (Cupitt & Holloway)
On why people become atheists
- A Leading Cause of Atheism? Not Allowing Dialogue and Disagreements
- 3 Beliefs Some Progressive Christians and Atheists Share
- When and why do people become atheists? New study uncovers important predictors (this one will challenge all parents – “
It turns out that parents that talk about religion but fail to practice what they preach are more likely to produce little deniers.”)
On atheist churches
- Is Atheism a cult?
- The elusive phenomenon of churches without God
- Why do secular groups often act like religious ones?
- Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
- A Field Guide to Atheism—for Believer and Unbeliever Alike
- There’s more to atheism than the dim-witted Dawkins brigade
- The myth of the freethinking atheist
- Why should a life without faith be without meaning?
- Theism, Atheism and Wishful Thinking
- Climb Inside the Atheist Mind—with Love
- How much does it matter whether God exists?