I’ve been blogging for some time now (since 2006 in fact) and this blog has been through any number of changes. I am an inveterate tinkerer, it’s possible that I am un-reformable in this regard. I’ve moved the blog from blogger to wordpress, changed themes and styles and taught myself as much as I can about building a decent website. Experienced blogger but still I was making some basic errors.
Recently, I transferred my site from one hosting company to another and I thought everything was going well. However some mistakes were made and all was not right. I was trusting their claim that everything was being backed up in the cloud only to find out (after a week of increasingly frustrating calls to tech-support) that they had a corrupted file that was missing years of material. That’s a recipe for a stressful day.
Lesson one is this – make sure you regularly backup your site and have access to it . Fortunately I had a backup that resulted in the loss of perhaps a dozen posts instead of a thousand posts. That’s quite a difference, I’m sure you’ll agree.
However, I’ve had to do a lot of rebuilding (there are still some kinks to work out) but here are some of the changes I’ve made. Some you’ll notice and some are behind the scenes:
Here are some steps I’ve taken to .
- The one you may notice the most is a whole new theme (again, I know). This is a beautiful theme called Hoffmann by a Swedish guy called Anders Noren. I’ve stripped away a lot of the clutter I had and focused the blog what is most important – the content.
- I’ve added a security plugin – it mails me a backup of my site at a schedule I set and into Dropbox it goes. There are other ways to back up, just make sure you do. Hopefully I’ll do a better job of protecting my site (from myself, mostly)
- I’ve reworked the categories and tags. I’ve reduced the number and changed the names of some of the categories. As I work through the database and complete that, it should make it easier to find related material and bring some focus to my writing.
- The images are a bit of a mess at the moment, but should come back looking better than ever.
- I’ve updated my bio and added a separate contact page
- I’ll be updating the resources section to make it easier to find significant themes and series that I’ve worked on over the years
- I am also planning on writing more which is after all what a blog is for.