Today I’m flying to Hyderabad in India for a week. I’ll try & post some pictures and updates throughout the week but no promises. Here are 10 facts & insights about this amazing country.
- It’s the second most populous nation on earth with 1.28 billion people
- It’s the most ethnically diverse nation on earth with over 2,500 distinct people groups
- There are 456 languages spoken and 18 of which have more than 10 million speakers
- The caste system has 4 main divisions but around 4,700 castes and 25,000 sub-castes
- India is the largest functioning democracy in the world.
- India has nuclear weapons, a space programme, world leader in IT
- Around 400 million Indians live below the poverty line.
- The majority of Indians are Hindu (75%) but there are also 170 million Muslims
- Christianity is the fastest growing religion in India and somewhere between 5-9% identify as Christians.
- The curry there is awesome
*9 of these facts came from Operation World